Pre Training Assessment Booking Form

Monday 27 April 2015

Dissappointing Gundogs

Well this weekend was certainly a  disappointment for me as my gun dogs did not perform very well, over the last few years I have not attended too many working tests due to other commitments, but having reduced my training commitments at weekends, I decided to do a few more working tests.

My motivation for doing so, is always to see whats being asked of current gun dogs, a chance to visit different grounds and measure my gun dogs performance and fitness levels.

This weekend the Midland Gundog Society organised an AV Retriever Open Working Test at Packington Estate, Meriden in Warkwickshire, a well establish shooting estate by kind permission of the Earl of Aylesford and the Utility Gundog Society orgainsed a Novice and Open AV Spaniel Working Test at Cavernam in Suffolk by kind permission of Robert Gough and Wayne Alford.

A number of demanding tests were set for 27 Open Retrievers, which attracted some of the best handlers in the UK, it was not too long before my fate was set for the day.

First mistake of the day, was hydrating the dogs too much with a sardine and water breakfast, thinking the day was going to be rather hot, dogs started peeing to much!

My first task was to pick a blind at some distance after being distracted with a mark at some equal distance at an acute angle directly into wind, all 3 of my dogs managed to pick both retrieves, but not without considerable handling and a few toilet stops!

My next task was to pick a mark in some undulating ground covered by bracken followed by a blind which was on a similar line but much deeper, all 3 of my dogs failed, my first dog discovered a dead deer carcass on route and decided to retrieve the hind leg, my second dog followed the same route found the same carcass but I did manged to move her off it and into the area but she failed to pick. my fortune change when my third dog picked the mark but I struggled and eventually called him up on the blind.

My final task before lunch was a further two blinds at some considerable distance to shot at an acute angle, the performance was deteriorating fast so I called my first two dogs up, hunting for something else which was not dummy! My luck change with my third dog receiving 19/20 for a near perfect performance.

After a brief lunch and fortunately with no cut, I was allowed to continue with a further two tests, I decided to retire one dog as she clearly was not interested in finding a dummy.

The next test was a simple mark on undulating ground over a ditch in bracken, my fortune improved with both dogs completing the task with respectable scores.

The final task was a long distance blind retrieve with a mark distraction at an obtuse angle to shot in some rushes, I completed this task with both dogs one of them scoring the maximum points.

Overall a rather disappointing performance but I was not on my own, another 15 dogs had failures according to the score card including a member of this years England team, which just goes to show every gundog can has some disappointing days.

The first reaction of some competitors or spectators would be to question the degree difficulty or quality of judging, I found the day very challenging and judging very fare indeed. If the tests on the day are too easy you may go home pleased, but what have you really achieved?

Their was greater emphases on blinds during the day, especially in the morning session, but I certainly went home with a lot to think about!

The next day involved a short journey down the A14 with my Cocker Pip, after such a disappointing Saturday with the Retrievers was rather hoping my fortune was going to change.

In the morning I helped out with the Novice AV Spaniel working test, putting a blind out behind the line and managed to see all the spaniels perform, which was very interesting, the winner was a class above the rest!

After a great lunch, we started the Open which was very similar to the Novice in that we had a simple mark in front with a shot in the line and a blind behind the line. pip completed all the retrieves the blinds with a little more handling than I would have liked, but she was on fire! she was a fidget when asked to sit and wait for the other dog to complete their retrieves, which cost her an A- under one judged, which put her out of the awards.

More work to do, hoping for better results next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment